Yes…I am well aware we are now in the season of pumpkin spice everything and don’t get me wrong, I love pumpkin spice as much as the next person. But you know… despite the cooler temperatures and pumpkin spice take over, sometimes you just want to eat something that takes you back to the warmer months. And what says spring/summer more than strawberries? Now one thing I know for sure is that this is certainly not the season for berries but one thing I also know is that there is NEVER a wrong time to eat cake, cupcakes, pies, cookies…dessert. So I figured I would try my hand at making strawberry cupcakes from scratch. There is always a work around for these things. My work around is using freeze dried strawberries to the batter and strawberry preserves for the buttercream frosting. None of that fluorescent pink boxed mix over here. Call me bougie (shrugs). I guess if you wanted you could add a little red food coloring to the batter to get that traditional strawberry cake look but I really think these are perfect as is.
Vegan Strawberry Cupcakes
- 2 cups cake flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup freeze dried strawberries, before ground into a powder
- 1/2 cup sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 1 1/3 cup water
- 2 tablespoons melted vegan butter
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon strawberry extract
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
Strawberry Buttercream Frosting
- 1/2 cup vegan butter
- 1/2 cup strawberry preserves
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Place freeze dried strawberries into a food processor and grind into a powder. If you don't have a food processor you can place in a plastic bag and use a rolling pin to grind into a powder. It's okay if there are some larger pieces in the mix.
- In a bowl whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, powdered strawberries, sugar, and salt.
- In a separate small mixing bowl combine water, butter, coconut oil, strawberry extract, and lemon juice.
- Slowly fold the flour mixture into the wet ingredients until well combined, being careful not to over mix.
- Divide batter among 12 paper lined muffin cups, filling them 3/4 full. Bake 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle of the cupcake comes out clean.
- Allow cupcakes to cool completely before frosting.
For Strawberry Buttercream Frosting:
- In a bowl mix the butter and the strawberry preserve.
- Add the powdered sugar and keep mixing until light and fluffy.
- Place in fridge for 10 minutes before frosting your cupcakes.
Welcome to my blog. I document my adventures in travel, DIY projects, and food. Hope you enjoy!