Every year around Thanksgiving the same debate comes up between me and my friends…pumpkin pie vs. sweet potato pie. Now I’ll be honest, for years I was team pumpkin pie. I know! Don’t judge me. I would get dirty looks every time I said I preferred pumpkin pie. Apparently, I’m one of the few. Now don’t get me wrong, pumpkin pie is still delicious but lately I’ve been slowly moving over to the sweet potato pie side. I mean let’s be honest, what’s not to love about sweet potatoes? They have many health benefits, such as improved blood sugar regulation and improved vitamin A status SO I figured this year I would switch things up a little bit and make a vegan version of this favorite.
Vegan Sweet Potato Pie
- 2 cups cooked, mashed sweet potato
- 1/2 cup melted vegan butter
- 2 eggs worth vegan egg replacer (I used Follow Your Heart Vegan Egg)
- 1/2 cup non-dairy milk (I used almond breeze unsweetened milk)
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Juice of half a lemon
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- In large bowl mix together sweet potato and butter until well combined. Stir in 'eggs', milk, sugar, nutmeg, cinnamon, vanilla and lemon juice. Beat on medium speed until well combined. Add in cornstarch and beat on medium speed until the filling is smooth.
- Pour filling into unbaked pie crust and bake at 350 degrees for 55 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. I used wholly wholesome pie shells.
- Serve with your favorite non-dairy whipped topping. I love So Delicious Coco Whip.
Welcome to my blog. I document my adventures in travel, DIY projects, and food. Hope you enjoy!