So Fourth of July weekend is right around the corner we all know what that means; BBQ's and beaches! Summer is officially upon us so I figured what's more appropriate for this beautiful weather than pulled BBQ chicken sandwiches, right? And if you’re having pulled BBQ sandwiches then you have to have coleslaw to go with it. I mean the two practically go hand in hand.
The only catch is...I didn’t really use chicken. Instead I used these Beyond Meat plant based grilled chicken strips. I just threw them in the crockpot along with a few ingredients for a couple hours and I had these amazing pulled BBQ sandwiches that taste just like you're eating real pulled BBQ chicken. The cool creamy coleslaw along with the slightly spicy BBQ was the perfect contrast. Add some fresh corn on the cob or some fries to that and you have the perfect summer meal.
Crockpot Hickory Bourbon BBQ chicken
- 10oz package of vegan grilled chicken strips
- 1/2 cup your favorite vegan BBQ sauce. I like Stubb's Hickory Bourbon.
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flake. To taste.
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 clove garlic. Finely diced.
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1/4 small yellow onion. Diced
- Throw all ingredients into a crockpots and cook on low for about 3 hours.
- Shred the strips up with a fork every now and then to get that pulled BBQ texture.
- 1 bag (14 oz each) shredded coleslaw mix
- 1/2 cup veganaise
- 2 tsp white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- Pinch of dry mustard
- Pinch of kosher salt
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the veganaise, vinegar, sugar, dry mustard, and salt until smooth.
- Add in shredded coleslaw mix and parsley and fold over with spatula until completely coated. Cover and refrigerate 2 hours, or overnight.
Welcome to my blog. I document my adventures in travel, DIY projects, and food. Hope you enjoy!